Latest Posts

Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Myddelton House Gardens in Enfield

E. A. Bowles was a well known British horticulturalist and plantsman. His home - the Myddelton House in Enfield houses a garden which is open to public. The Myddelton House Garden spread over eight acres tells the story of EA Bowles and his love for unusual and exotic plants. The house was originally called the Bowling Green House, but in 1812 when HC Bowles demolished and built the house that stands today he renamed it as Myddelton House after Sir Hugh Myddelton the engineer who created the New River.




The Wisteria Bridge dating back to 1832 is so named because of the large Wisteria planted by Bowles in 1903. In those days the New river used to flow under the bridge and then beneath the road.


Bowles loved to collect unusual items and this can be seen in his gardens. The garden has the King George III monument and a summerhouse which contained King Edward VII's old pew from Sandringham Church.



Bowles rescued the old Cross which stood in the Enfield Market place from a builder's yard and made it the centrepiece in his Rose garden. Alongside it he made an oak pergola trained with hardy vines, a wisteria and roses.



The gardens are also home to a beautiful carp lake where you can feed the fish.






There is also a kitchen garden where fruits and vegetables are grown.




The garden has an impressive range of flora with something on offer every season - wild geraniums and irises in summer, snowdrops in February, daffodils and camassias and much more.









The gardens are open every day except Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
April to September: 09.30 – 18.00 and October to March: 09.30 – 16.30
Entry to the gardens is Free. The visitor centre also has paid private guided walks. The house can be visited during the Open House weekend.




Location:
Myddelton House Gardens
Bulls Cross
Enfield
EN2 9HG





Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright The Globe Trotter.